Why Becoming a Member is Important:
1. “I BELONG HERE.” – Membership says, “I belong here,” and God says that believers belong together. [Heb. 10:23-25] You sense that God wants you here with the people of GOSPEL ALLIANCE CHURCH at this time in your Christian life, and you want to make a public declaration that you are committed to God’s work through our church.
2. “WE SHARE THE SAME VISION AND VALUES.” – Membership says, “We share the same ministry goals,” and God says that believers are to be committed to one another for the purpose of impacting others with Jesus’ love. [Eph. 4:16] You believe that Jesus wants to accomplish much in the Mon Valley, the surrounding counties in Pennsylvania, and around the world, and you’re willing to join with others to see that it gets done.
3. “I ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY.” – Membership says, “I accept responsibility for a group of brother and sister Christ-followers in the family of God,” and that it’s God’s plan. [Gal. 6:1-2,10] You want to be part of a caring network of people, sharing each other’s joys and sorrows, and helping one another grow through worship, Bible study, and fellowship.
4. “I AM ACCOUNTABLE.” – Membership says, “I am accountable to my brothers and sisters in Christ for my walk with God,” and God warns us against autonomy. [Heb. 13:17; Matt. 18:15-20] You don’t want to do it alone in standing for Jesus and want to receive the guidance, equipping, and assistance necessary to remain on target.
5. “I ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY FOR HOW THINGS ARE DONE.” – Membership says, “I accept responsibility for how things are done here,” and God says that’s how it should be. [1 Cor. 12:20-27] Members elect elders, and other church officers to serve as our spiritual leaders, and approve an annual budget. Every member has a say in shaping our church’s direction and ministry goals.
6. “KEEPS G.A.C. LEGAL” – Membership keeps us legal [1 Tim. 3:2; 1 Pet. 2:13-17] The Commonwealth of PA recognizes a church that has a credible membership and organization. Obedience to these laws affirms that we are responsible citizens with a desire to serve.
Written by Bob Putman and Herbert Hage. Adapted for use by GAC by Pastors Sickler and Petke.
Leadership Journal, Winter 1999
Next membership class:
Click here to register for a class.